First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Jacksonville grew out of a small group who began meeting in homes in 1883. The first two buildings were destroyed by fire in 1901 and 1925. By December 1926, the church had relocated to downtown Jacksonville at the intersection of Church St. and Julia St. In December 1982, the congregation held its first worship service in its new Mandarin location. Education space was added in 1986, and the new Sanctuary was dedicated on April 26, 1998. Our senior minister, Rev. Jeff Smith, has led our church since March 1, 2000.
As a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation, we welcome everyone, regardless of race, age, gender identity or expression, sexual identity, nationality, ethnicity, marital status, family shape, economic privilege, physical or mental ability, education level, political stance, or theological perspective.